Wednesday, February 20, 2008

FreeHand Question: Rescaling Everything on the Map

Question

Hi Ian, I heard Ben in lab talking about a way to increase the size of a map and have all the layers increase with the same percentage but I didn't hear how to do that. I'm at the point I want to increase the size of my map but I don't know how to do it. How is it done?


 

Answer
No problem. The best way to do it is to save your file with a different name, just in case my advice screws everything up.

Then unlock every layer. Go to "Edit" and choose "Select All." Once everything has been selected hit Cntrl-G (or select Group). It will look like everything is on one layer, because it is grouped, but when you ungroup it everything will go back to the original layer.

Now that everything is grouped together you can do two things. You can choose the Scale Tool from the toolbar (or WINDOW) and resize it. Or more simply: with everything grouped together, double-click on the grouped object. Some weird handles appear around the edges of the object. If you hold down the shift key and move your cursor over a corner, click and resize the window, it will resize in proportion (x and y height will look the same dimension as the original, though you will make it bigger or smaller). You can also move it around the page at this point.

No comments: